Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy....St. Patricks Day?

Ok, so we really don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day. (Can you see me at a club drinking green beer? Right. I didn't think so) But we did get Owen a cute shirt that says "Kiss Me, I'm Irish". (this would be a good place to insert a picture of him in his shirt. I don't have one yet. I'll take one tonight) Also, we aren't Irish. Josh has claimed for a long, long time that he has Irish roots. When we were visiting with his family a couple of weeks ago, they were quick to point out that this was incorrect. Ha :-) So.... I guess just because a person has red hair, it doesn't make them Irish. Sorry babe! I'm pretty sure both sides of our families are from the hills of Kentucky :-) ha ha! Just kidding! We love our families and are grateful for our heritage....

Anyways. Not a whole lot of new stuff going on in our lives. Owen is still cute, fun and getting even closer to turning two. We see evidence of this every day....in the form of throwing himself on the floor when he's mad and hasn't gotten what he wanted, and in the very sad (but probably sinful and manipulative) way he turns down his lip and cries his little heart out when he is reprimanded! I'm determined to discipline well and be as consistent as possible. So far...so good. And the whining. Ohhhhh...the whining. Why wasn't I prepared for all of the whining? I've heard it stops around age five. Wonderful.

Ok. Mostly our days with Owen are lots of fun and not focused around discipline! Really. I promise! Here are some fun things he is doing:

- saying "yah" instead of yes (it may not be good English, but it IS cute) :-)
- Climbing in and out of his highchair himself
- "reading" books to himself (its so cute. He really sits with a book and jabbers while turning the pages!)
- counting (right now he is leaving out number one, but counting, two-three and then if we keep going, he knows that six comes after five! how random is that!?)
- enjoying outside time ....looking for airplanes in the sky, clapping the annoying geese away from our house, and just generally running around our yard like a crazy man!
- pulling a toy he can stand on up to the light switches and turning them off and on (good times)
- taking himself to "brush" his teeth
- jumping, running, kicking a ball and shooting a ball seem to be his favorite things to do. He is all boy. Its amazing to me these characteristics just come out!

I just love this kid more every day. I'm excited for the warmer weather and the opportunities to be outside with him. He's going to have a great summer. And I seriously already can't wait for soccer season. I know we are going to have another great year and Owen is going to love going to the games!

Just have to end with a quick plug for our church...Pastor Vroegop did an excellent sermon this Sunday on "Revealing Christ in a Recession". It was...wow. Powerful. Lets just say I have stuff to work on. If you get the chance...go over and take a listen. www.yourchurch.com
(this link should take you right to the sermon download....if not, its pretty easy to find it on the website which is....www.yourchurch.com.... its under "sermons"). :-)

That's it for now...pictures soon!

3 comments:

swonderful said...

I had to laugh at the "brush his teeth" in quotation marks. I know all about that. We should get together again soon!

Erin

Christie said...

Sounds like Owen's at SUCH a fun age!
My kids were never going to whine. I had decided that whining would be prevented/cured by never responding to it, so mine wouldn't have that problem. Ha. We're STILL working on it, though I must say we're making progress, and I can see where it may just be pretty much gone by 5. That's only 6 months away for my oldest. (=

Josh Brown said...

I looked it up and its a very good possibility we do have some Irish in us. Grandma Brown's maiden name of Hart is predominately Irish, Meece is most likely English, Morris (grandma Meece's maiden name) is English/Irish, and Brown could be English, Irish, or Scottish. Hart is the biggest indicator though, so I do believe I am right!