Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gratitude

God is constantly and consistently bringing me back to a place of gratitude and appreciation for what He has done in my life. Just today in conversations around me I find myself being so overwhelmed for God's grace and protection in my life. Because its good for the soul, I wanted to make a short list of things I'm particularly thankful for. :-)

- My health. I take it for granted. I have SMALL things that give me headaches...like rheumatoid arthritis, a thyroid that doesn't function well, a vocal chord that doesn't work. I do NOT have Cancer. Or anything that that debilitates me. Thank you God for this blessing.

- The health of my family. Owen hardly ever gets sick. I worried that I would pass on my legacy of ear infections to him...and my biggest fear in being unable to breastfeed past four months was that he would be an unhealthy child. He's had runny noses and the occasional cold, but I've only taken him to the Dr. to be seen for something other than a well child check up four times in his two year lifespan. That is pretty remarkable to me. Josh is incredibly healthy. Thank you God for this blessing.

- We can pay all of our bills every month and don't live in mountains of debt. Thank you God for providing for us! Thank you for allowing Josh to do something he loves (teaching) but unfortunately doesn't pay a spectacular salary, thank you for letting me stay home part time and thank you for giving us additional resources for this to all work out! We are blessed! Help us to be generous!

- For friends that make our lives so very full and rich. For friends that feel welcome in our home and sit around our dining room table sharing their lives with us until 2:00 AM! Thank you Jesus! Our lives are blessed with people that walk alongside us and encourage us daily!

-For a church that preaches and teaches the very heart of the gospel of Jesus Christ. For a community of believers that practices accountability, discipline and restoration among its people. Thank you Lord.

-For my time at Grace College. Not only did I have a great time and create friendships that are still a huge part of my life today...I look back and know that God used those four years of my life to study the bible and learn about Jesus in a way I would have never had the opportunity to do so outside of Grace. My views of Christianity, religion, and LIFE are reformed because of how God led me to study the scriptures. Thank you Father!

-For everyday that I get out of bed and am given a new day to live! I'm grateful! May I never forget that every breath that I take is given to me from my Creator...Thank you God for the chance to experience life. May I live well!

Have you heard this new song by Lincoln Brewster? Its called "Power of Your Name". Its message is profound so I wanted to share the lyrics:

Surely children weren't made for the streets
And fathers were not made to leave
Surely this isn't how it should be
Let Your Kingdom come

Surely nations were not made for war
Or the broken meant to be ignored
Surely this just can't be what You saw
Let Your Kingdom come
Here in my heart

I will live
To carry Your compassion
To love a world that's broken
To be Your hands and feet
I will give
With the life that I've been given
And go beyond religion
To see the world be changed
By the power of Your name

Surely life wasn't made to regret
And the lost were not made to forget
Surely faith without action is dead
Let Your Kingdom come
Lord break this heart

Your name
Is a shelter for the hurting
Jesus Your name
Is a refuge for the weak
Only Your name
Can redeem the undeserving
Jesus Your name
Holds everything I need


Isn't this the very heart of the gospel? To "go beyond religion" and "love a world that's broken". Shew. So much to think about. So many days I feel incredibly selfish. I want new clothes. I want my hair done. I want stuff for the house. I want a nap! When will I really understand that all this stuff is fleeting and it really doesn't make my life full? This is my prayer...that my eyes will constantly be opened to what really matters..."to carry your compassion, to love a world that's broken". Most days doing things God's way makes sense and I want to live my life that way, but other days are harder and I want to throw in the towel and do it MY way! I don't like pain...I don't like hard stuff...I want it EASY! :-) Mark 9:24 I do believe, Lord: help my unbelief!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. You are a blessing to me. Much love.

Corinne Taylor Montieth said...

Your blessings are a continued blessing to me.
"Surely life wasn't made to regret
And the lost were not made to forget
Surely faith without action is dead
Let Your Kingdom come."

Thank you for these words, they resonanted in my heart.

And way to go Owen! You are so smart! Katie can't wait to play with you again!

Love,
Corinne