Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whats new with us



This past week we celebrated Josh's 29th birthday (Sun, Jan 18) and we welcomed a new President into office. Its been a big week. Although you might expect me to have lots of thoughts on our new President and what this means for our country....I'm going to blow right past that and ignore the topic for today! (I've started to blog about it several times and gotten interrupted and its just unfinished. Maybe I'll post it someday...or maybe not. The important thing is that my thoughts are safely stored as a draft here on blogspot!)
I also have lots of fun Owen pictures to post. I'm a big facebooker, so all of the fun pictures are on there, but I know I need to also put them up here for family to see. I'll work on that soon. Promise. While some people may reject things such as facebook and most things internet, I embrace them with lots of enthusiasm! I LOVE LOVE being connected. I can't tell you how many people I've been able to RE-connect with over facebook and really be blessed by their experiences and friendship. I have lots of examples...but I'm really thankful for the internet and the way it allows us to have community in a weird kind of way.
We haven't been up to much of anything new. Just trying to stay warm and doing a good job of keeping busy.

I'm trying to think of new things that are going on for us. Hmmm....

- currently Owen loves grapes. I would say they are his favorite food right now. He will make a dive for the "produce" drawer in the fridge whenever it is open. Today I've decided to just give him a bowl of grapes to carry around with. He seems ok with this :-)

- I'm currently on day 11 of my no soda or sweet tea promise. Its been really hard, but really really worth it. I think the hardest days are over and I'm starting to just feel good. My goal is to make it 21 days cold turkey and then celebrate with a sweet tea (which is what I REALLY WANT) for my birthday and then proceed with extreme moderation there on out. I think I can do it.

- We are going to Dayton this weekend to visit the Gross family. I'm so excited. We have such a good time hanging out. I'm also excited to see how our boys will play together. I think Owen is finally getting to an age where he is actually playing with other kids. It should be fun! (Plus the adults are going to stay up late and play the Wii and possibly have a euchre re-match---Heather you know we really need one after last time!)

- We are doing a really great series at church on the book of Job and how to "suffer well". Its a really tough series and I'm not sure I'm going to make it through one Sunday without tears, but God is really using it to change my life. Can I just say that I LOVE our church. I'm so blessed. We've been there almost five years and I just can't imagine being anywhere else. I love that Owen (finally) recognizes where we are and tugs my hand until I take him to the nursery. I love that when we come in to the sanctuary on Sunday morning we are greeted by loving friends who know us and care about us. I love that each Sunday I'm seriously challenged by God's word and confronted with how I need to change my life! College Park has had its share of hard times...but God's hand of blessing is SO CLEARLY there. I'm so happy that our family is a part of that!

-I've been doing a lot of cooking/baking and recipe hunting. I've made some really good things (spicy shredded pork) and some not so good things (garlic knot rolls). I'm thankful that my husband is kind and at least is open to trying what I'm putting on his plate. I think we've only had to totally throw a meal out one time here lately :-)

-Josh is on the long stretch of no school breaks until Spring Break. I try to feel sorry for him but its hard when he gets most of his summers off. :-) His position is challenging though so I try and keep that in perspective. He does a bit more than schedule eye surgeries and file paperwork. Like last week....he had to restrain a student that tried to punch him in the face. Nice. I'll stick with my eye surgeries and let him complain a bit that its so many weeks until he gets another break. :-)

-New words for Owen: "Sky", "nana" (banana), "whats that"? and "sit". I'm still waiting for "please". It will happen.

I think thats about it. I feel like our life is very full and very blessed. I'm especially grateful for so many good friendships that are big parts of our lives. Coming from a somewhat smaller family (well, I only have one sibling)....I feel like my girlfriends are my family and God has really blessed me with some wonderful friends. So, I'm thankful. Thats all. Happy Thursday everyone!

Oh, and I would also like to say that Owen is now "cleaning" for me. He has taken a napkin from the table and is currently "wiping" our sliding glass doors and then our laminate flooring :-) Oh just wait kiddo...someday you can REALLY help Momma clean! :-)

1 comment:

swonderful said...

clark went through a grape phase. he would actually grab them at the grocery store and try to eat them. they ARE a little like candy. :) i too am thankful for the internet! i am a really social person, and being inside with my kids all day is not exactly at social activity! i am always impressed with your cooking and menu making. share some of your successful recipes! that soup you made at christa's was so so so good.