Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just because I want to remember...

I wanted to take a few minutes to think about Owen and what he's doing at this age. I did a much better job of this when I was blogging on Xanga, but I want to keep it up. This is much more fun than keeping a loooong journal in his baby book (I mean I keep stats and stuff, but not particular developmental stuff). Its amazing to me how you just forget. You think you will never forget what your baby did when they were such and such an age...but you really do. I mean when its time for me to have a newborn again it will be like starting over. I actually kind of like that.
I have this weird philosphy on life that if I space big things out far enough (like weddings and babies) then the actual events will be twice as special and twice as enjoyable. This thinking is twisted and probably incorrect, but its still kind of the way I do life. I like to save the best for last.
For example, in high school, whenver I got a new outfit to wear, I would save it for Friday. Because Friday was the best and last day of the week. Why wouldn't I want to save my favorite outfit for the best day of the week? I'm silly like that. Even now I find myself doing this in little ways. Planning to have my next baby when my life is just a tad bit easier...like why wouldn't I want to have a newborn when my son is potty trained and can do a bit for himself? And I've made my 21 days without a sweet tea or soda...but I'm saving my celebratory drink for my birthday....my favorite drink on one of my best days (well, not such a great day now that I'm old...but you get the idea!). Anyways. I digress. Huge rabbit trail!
Back to Owen.
Here are some fun things that he is doing.

1. He loves to sit up on the kitchen counter and hang out with me while I cook. He will come up to me and put his arms up and say "cook". Its so cute. Especially cute now that I know what he wants!
2. When he wants someone to go play with him in his playroom, he will come up to them and say "hand". Then he will lead you off to go play. Its very sweet. I try and remember to go play with him as often as I can and as often as he wants me to. Because it won't always be me that he wants to play with.
3. He loves bananas more than any other food (I think) and will point to them and say "nana".
4. He has some weird crazy made up word for "please" that no one can understand. BUT when we ask him to say please, this word is always what he says. Unfortunately it sounds nothing like please.
5. He loves 101 Dalmations (the cartoon movie). When he wants to watch it (which is often) he will point to the TV and say "whoof, whoof".
6. When you ask him what sound a cow makes he says "Booooo"! (even though he can make the M sound just fine!)
7. He love to take showers with Josh. I started this habit when he was around six months old. Now he only takes them with his dad, but I think he likes them more than baths. He also doesn't mind getting water in his face.
8. He is OBSESSED and I mean OBSESSED with balls. All things balls. He loves to throw them, kick them, SEE them. He thinks anything in a circular shape is a ball (like the sun in a book we read). Yesterday we were watching Sesame Street and there was a basketball goal in the background of the scene they were shooting...they weren't even talking about basketballs...it was just there in the back...and he started saying "I shoot", "I shoot ball"! I couldn't figure out where that was coming from until I saw that it was there in the corner background of the TV! I promise we didn't pressure him into this or insist he carry a ball at all times. This all comes from him! Its hilarious!
9. He may not say a whole lot (we figured out that he says around 30 words when we went for his check up last Monday) but he KNOWS a lot. Just for fun I asked him to go get his pajamas for me the other day and he disappeared returning a few minutes later with...pajamas. Sometimes I can't believe how big he is. It makes me nervous to think about what ELSE he knows! :-)
10. He loves his multi-colored hat that we bought for him last year from baby Gap. It is supposed to fit a six month old's head. It fits Owen perfectly. The other night he slept in it. Most Sunday's he wears it his entire time in the nursery. I find it absolutely adorable and endearing. in case you are wondering, "hat" is one of the words he can say.

I think I'll stop there for now. I'm sure there are more and I may come back and add later.

1 comment:

Boothbloggers said...

Awww, I love reading about the O-man! :) Happy Birthday and I'm very excited about your tea drinking experience tonight!! :)