Monday, May 23, 2011

Owen, 4 years




So, I don't know when I got off track with keeping updated with Owen. But I'm going to do better. :)
Owen is four!

Stats:

Weight-31 lbs
Height- 39 1/2 inches
Head- Ha. When do they stop measuring your head? :) No clue

Sleeping: Owen has always been an amazing sleeper. Bedtime is between 8:30-9:30 (unless he has a "campout" with dad :)) and he wakes between 7:30-8:30 AM. He still takes a solid 2 hour nap every day. If he skips a nap, it is very rare and he is very grouchy. I have taught him that sleeping is good for your body and its when your body "heals itself" (where do I come up with this stuff!? I'm sure its true, yes?!) and he has actually caught onto this. He told me the other day that some of his friends don't take naps anymore, but he does because sleep is good for your body and it helps keep him happy! ha! Yes! I told him that he would take naps until he went to school all day every day. He seemed ok with that! We'll see :)

Eating: Owen still eats like a bird and is somewhat picky. Although I don't think we give him enough credit a lot of times, because when I do push the issue and make something out of the ordinary, he will try it without TOO Much of a fuss (most times) but...I think its really, really normal for kids his age to be picky. Probably. At least in my family. We have to take into consideration here: 1. His father is Josh Brown. Josh eats: steak, cheeseburgers pizza, hot dogs, french fries, subs, potatoes, some pasta and corn on the cob and occasionally chicken. 2. His Uncle is Curt Barnard. My brother ate: corn dogs, chicken nuggets and pizza for a good 10 years of his life. (he has done a 180 and now even eats sushi ) I think some of his picky eating is in his genes. Although I do make him try other things, he doesn't like too many things that are not typical kid food. His reigning favorite food is macaroni and cheese...and recently he has started to eat apple slices (will eat most other fruit, but not apples?) and peanut butter and jelly. He does not eat beef :) Unless it is ground up in spaghetti sauce. Some of his standards are: chicken nuggets, turkey franks (if he is at my house :) I make him turkey franks instead of hot dogs), ravioli, chicken noodle soup, peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, bananas, strawberries, grapes, baby carrots, peas, and green beans.

Development: He's a genius. Just kidding :) Actually, I've slowed way down on pushing school stuff. He can identify all letters of the alphabet and knows their sounds. He can write probably close to half of them. He writes his name fairly well. He knows how to spell Mom and Wes. He can count to 30 (sometimes he misses 16, weird, I know :) and probably higher, but I've heard him count to 30 in the car without any assistance. He is curious about anything and everything. At first I thought I would really work hard on teaching him how to write all of his letters and maybe even work on reading, but I just decided that he has all the time in the world for that. Not that there is anything wrong with doing it, but he is going to school ( meaning we aren't homeschooling) and Josh and I both agreed that we don't want him to be so far ahead of his peers that he is bored. This advice also comes from my first grade teacher sister in law :) I won't get into all the reasons that we believe sending him to school is the right decision because there are many, but we know it is. I'm so excited for him to go to school. He is going to Traders Point Academy in the fall for preschool. He will go Monday, Wednesday and Friday from, 9-12. I know he will LOVE it. So excited for him.
He has been amazing me lately with how completely articulate it is. He is really good at communicating an idea or thought...and his vocabulary is really taking off. (I think :)) His memory is comparable to his father's (really good) and his maturity and insight is pretty amazing for his age, I think.
I mean, I guess its pretty natural to assume your child is amazing. And, I do. I could be wrong, but I don't really care. haha.

Summer activities: Two weeks of swimming lessons the middle two weeks of June, Lil Kicker soccer every Saturday starting June 18 until August, and preschool camp at Traders Point in July. I'm excited. We are going to have a fun summer. Its the first summer Josh and I will both be home together every day...and we are going to try and really fill our days with fun stuff. Pool, park, zoo, picnics, etc. We are hoping to take a weekend away somewhere (probably the Indiana Dunes again) and we are excited to welcome our twin cousins, (niece and nephew) this July! What a fun summer!

I think that about covers it! I feel pretty blessed to have such sweet, lovey healthy boys. God has been really good to us.

No comments: