Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The lack of a menu....and etc.

I've been slacking majorly on the menu thing. That's ok. I think my following has died off and only a few of you have been checking in for recipes.

As weird as it seems, this time of year actually starts to get busier for us....only to lead into soccer season which is beyond busy...its nutso. But anyways. Right now school is over and Josh has class and soccer practice on Monday and Wednesday nights (making it hard, or silly to make a big dinner for just Owen and I); Josh and I like to go to a class at the gym on Thursday nights....and I've never REALLY planned food for the weekends unless we were having company or a Sunday afternoon roast just sounded good. So, I'm sure I'll cook here and there...but mostly we grill out. And eat at Chic Fila. I know. Not the best plan, but it happens. Two things I did make recently include: Swiss Steak (I used a McCormick's Seasoning Envelope and followed the recipe on the back of the envelope...it was fine, but I was not impressed and I have a Paula Deen recipe to try the next time I want to do Swiss Steak), Apple Bread (really good, btw) and if you haven't seen or heard me raving about Pioneer Woman's strawberry shortcake CAKE, OH MY GOODNESS. You have to try it. Its fantastic. Really, its more than fantastic, but I like the word fantastic today. It works.

So thats about it on the cooking end. I probably won't be trying a huge amount of new main course dishes over the summer....but if I do, and its good enough to pass on....I'll let ya know!

In other news....Owen is in the language and learning explosion stage. New words and phrases everyday. New concepts learned every day. New ways to throw temper tantrums (in the middle of the driveway? Good one!). New ways to be onry in general! :-) He loves, loves, loves to be outside. He loves his new slide, he loves to run, he loves to scare away the ducks on the pond, he loves airplanes in the sky...he HATES when we make him come inside. Now, I really do try to be a fun mom and not make my kid sit inside all day, but I can't be outside at all times. I just can't. Laundry must be done, and dinners must be made (occasionally). Plus, the great outdoors hate me. I went to Lowe's last Friday night to pick out some flowers for our back porch and came back covered in bug bites. I'm just cursed. I do less than well with humid weather and bugs. I heart air-conditioning. But really, I'm trying. I do love my boy and his happiness is....my happiness. :-)

Starting Monday, (6.1) I am working two full-time work weeks back to back. Blech. I am already sad thinking about it, but this extra work will pay for our Florida vacation, therefore I'm really, really glad to have the opportunity to do it. (And let me just say THIRTY-FIVE days until I'm on vacation in Florida. WE CAN'T WAIT!!!!)And will remain really, really grateful that I do not work outside of my house full-time. I know many people do it, but I'm just thankful that I don't have to. (Thanks, God!)

That's about it for now! Oh...since the last time I posted a baby congratulations two more of our good friends have had new babies....congrats to Kelby and Anna on baby Will and congrats to Michael and Emiliy on baby Luke! (yay for some more baby boys!) :-)

No comments: