Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Flip Flops, TSH, Pumpkin Pie and New Tires

So, I think this week marked the end of flip flop season for me. I wear them until it snows. Well, it snowed this week. I have really sad feet...I can't wear cute shoes because my arthritis bothers me in my feet this most. So; heels, stilettos...anything with any style is generally out for me. So, I wear flip flops. Sure, they aren't the most supportive thing and they probably aren't doing my feet any favors, but they don't bother me and I'm comfortable, AND they generally go with anything I'm wearing. Good story, huh?
My flip flop wearing has prompted the last two doctors I've gone to see to ask me what on earth I could be thinking wearing flip flops in 40 degree weather....well, I just don't get cold. Ahh yes, they have replied. You have hyperthyroid. Correct. That I do. My thyroid is actually out of control...you could pray for that. My last lab values show that I am at least ten times above the normal TSH range. So, the medicine I've been on is doing nothing...nada...zilch. I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse. My thyroid is trying to destroy itself. So I'm always warm, I can't sleep and I just don't feel right. The answer to my problems is ultimately surgery. (removal of my thyroid) I'm not really willing to do this until I'm done having babies...which I'm not...I'M NOT I say! Unless God says I am. But I have to get my thyroid under some kind of control to even be able to get pregnant again. Who knows when that will happen. So...when you think of us....pray for my sad little thyroid....my Dr. has increased my medication, so hopefully that will help. And when you see me dressed for spring/fall-like weather in the dead of winter...just remember, I'm hardly ever cold. :-)
In other news, we are well. Owen is recovering from bronchitis, Josh was named Marion County's Coach of the Year (a very cool honor, article to follow in a different post), I've been Christmas shopping and cooking....and dreaming up new things to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas...YUM. (what do you think of chocolate covered cream cheese pumpkin pie?!) I think I might try it.
Lastly, we have new tires on our Saturn. It drives like a new car. However, spending $300+ on tires right before Christmas doesn't make me feel very Christmasey. Ah, the game of life.
Happy Wednesday all.

2 comments:

ForSuchATimeAsThis said...

Ahhh . . the joys of a malfunctioning thyroid!!! I have an UNDER active thyroid, which means that I'm always cold, and always tired :) It seems like everytime I go to the Dr they say that my dosage needs to be upped. When I get pregnant someday they also say I need to come in EVERY month to make sure my levels are normal because I will have a higher risk of miscarriage due to my thyroid. YEA for thyroid problems :) We can hate them together!! I'll be praying for you-it's no fun I know!

In the meantime I hope you fully enjoy Thanksgiving. I too, am hoping to find some crazy fun recipe to contribute to at least one of the 4 Thanksgivings we're going to! Hope you have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

oh goodness:)
I will be praying for that thyroid of yours!
Also, we feel the pain on the new tires thing..it seems this kind of stuff always happens around Christmas,yes?