Monday, December 8, 2008

"And Lord Haste the Day when my Faith Shall be Sight"!

Inspired by the Selah concert at College Park last night and their powerful performance of this song...I decided to write it out and post it on our blog. This has been my favorite hymn...even as a child. Probably because I've always had a problem with being conent. When I was a child, I wanted to be a teenager, when I was a teenager, I wanted to be a college student, when I was a college student I wanted to be married...you get the idea! Today the lyrics and message mean so much to me for a variety of reasons...but wow, the story of this hymn is pretty amazing. The author, Horatio Spafford wrote this hymn while sailing to be with his wife after his four daughters had drowned at sea. As they passed over the area where his daughters drowned he came up with the words to this song.

I don't think anyone can know how to deal with grief until they have been confronted with it; I also think that while Mr. Spafford had a wonderful reaction to grief in the form of this song, he and his wife most certainly had some very low moments. In my own life I can find myself dwelling on the hurts and losses that I and my loved ones have suffered, BUT I love that at the end of the day I know that my victory lives in Christ and in the way that he has saved me from this world of sin. Knowing that life is hard, painful and messy at its best, I want so badly to get to the end of my life enjoying what the Lord has brought me through...and saying that whatever losses I feel that I may have sustained..IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL! :-)

(There ya go...I never post stuff like this anymore, so this should hold me over for awhile!) :-)


It Is Well With My Soul

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always like reading your blogs. :) Don't you love it when songs connect with you like that, and something so simple can also be so profound? See you guys on Thursday.

ForSuchATimeAsThis said...

~I love this hymn. . . .and now I'm going to be humming it for the remainder of the day :) THANK YOU for this post. . . my heart needed to be reminded that despite the circumstances we find ourselves in sometimes, our victory is found in Christ! Nothing ever takes Him by surprise, which is why I can rest and know that "It is Well with my soul. . . " Have a wonderful day!!! Thanks for sharing!!~