Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Soccer and football (Josh)

I thought I should write a post in our family blog, so here goes. Soccer is well underway, as is school. School is going well, but I'm glad for Labor Day to be coming up. I got my projector for my SMART Board, and I should be getting my SMART Board soon. I have been doing a lot of ISTEP prep with my students, and I am a little surprised at how poorly they do with the basics of grammar and math (subjects and predicates, integers). Guess that's why I get paid the big bucks to help them. HA!

Soccer is going great so far. We have the best start in school history at 3-0 right now. We beat the #20 team in the state last Thursday 2-0. We played just awful last night, but somehow managed to still win 3-1. Our schedule is about to get wicked hard as literally half of our conference is ranked in the top 15 and we have a tourney with another top 5 team. We can hang with any team we play, it just depends on which of my teams show up. I am trying to get them to understand that games are not won on game days, but in practice and that is where they have to put the work in. I think after last night they see it. Hopefully we can have a very successful season. I have a small break as we only have one game this week. From here on out its games every Tuesday and Thursday until Sectionals. I may be able to sleep and see my family around the middle of October.

Last Saturday I traveled up to Grace for a fantasy football draft. Nine years ago a group of us started a league, and we have had the same core guys since then. I think the core of 7 of us have been in since the beginning, and it is always a lot of fun. We have never done a live draft before due to location issues, but since one of my best friends Pete moved back to the sacred Midwest, we made it happen. We had a blast! We had a nice set up with an announcer and tons of food. We even had draft cards to give to the announcer. Yeah, we may be dorks, but we don't care. I hadn't seen some of these guys since graduation, so it was good to reconnect with all of them. We hope to make this live draft an annual event.

Here are some pictures from our draft.

Our trophy

Pete chilling as Dave and I research our next picks
Notice the Mt. Dews...yes, we put away many of those

Joel and Hoover

The Grace College Fantasy Football Leauge

No comments: