Friday, August 29, 2008

The best cookie ever

Every once in awhile I get the urge to be Martha Stewart and get excited about finding the best ever of something...and let me tell you, I think I've found one of them. I've been wanting to find a really good chocolate chipy-m&m cookie recipe...because what mom doesn't want to be the one with the best cookies! Her children will rave..."my mom makes the best cookies ever" and"my mom makes better cookies than your mom does"...and the compliments go on and on. The recipe will be passed down from generation to generation and will be requested at family gatherings and praised by co-workers and friends. Ahhh. The dream. But really. I love new recipes, and because I'm the sharing type...and not the recipe hoarding I-want-all-the glory-to- myself type, I thought I'd share this one!

Now, I did find this recipe on the internet, but I altered it slightly. However, I must give credit where credit is due. You can find the original at www.recipezaar.com.

We shall call this....

"The Best Cholcoate Chip Chunk M&M Cookies Ever" (great name, right?!)

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 bag of m&ms (I used the ones especially for baking)
1/2 bag of Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chunks

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla and salt--beat until fluffy!

2. Beat in the egg and baking soda

3. Stir in the flour, m&ms and chocolate

4. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours or overnight (I think this may be the key step making these cookies so absolutely yummmmm.....so don't try and bake right away!)

4.5 Preheat oven to 350*

5. Using 2-3 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, shape the dough into balls and place on the lightly greased cookie sheet


6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies spring back when very lightly touched.

7. Cool on the cookie sheets for two minutes, transfer to paper towels to cool for about two minutes, then transfer to racks (I think this step is a bit extravagant. I put mine on racks about two minutes out of the oven and they seemed fine)



Ok...enjoy! Let me know if any of you try this and tell me what you think!
I'm also challenging anyone who reads this to post/e-mail out one of your best ever recipes!

Happy Labor Day Weekend everyone! You can be sure that these cookies will be part of our celebration of a long weekend! :-)

Edited to Add: This recipe definitely makes less than the traditional cookie recipe...I kind of like it because if we are just making it for ourselves we don't have dozens of cookies staring us in the face, but just be advised that you may need to double this one up if you are looking for more than 24 cookies.... :-)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm definitely going to try it as soon as I have all of the ingredients! I'll let you know how it turns out. By the way, I just tried Christa M.'s recipe from when we had the recipe exchange on Xanga a few years back, it was for Spanish Rice Bake, and it turned out delicious! Definitely going to be a regular around here. Let me know if you want me to pass it your way! :)