Monday, October 10, 2011

Sugar Free?

So, about two weeks ago I decided that my life was not chaotic enough. It wasn't enough that I am currently without my own home, or raising two rambunctious boys, or waiting for my husband rejoin me in life (i.e.: finish soccer season which demands 90% of his time)....I decided it would be great to make myself somewhat miserable and give up sugar for 30 days. Why? Because my friend Missy did it awhile ago and blogged about it...and I thought...hmm...maybe I should do that. And then, well...then...my idol, The Pioneer Woman did it. Ok, deal sealed. I needed to try it. So, Monday, Sept. 26, was my first day being "sugar free". And I'm talking about actual sugar here...like, the white stuff. The stuff that I live for in my favorite drink...sweet tea. In theory, I understand that nearly all food is actually sugar. Bread? Sugar. Pasta? Sugar. Everything I enjoy? SUGAR! But, I doubt that I have it in me to give up all carbs for 30 days. So, I'm on day 15 of attempting to be sugar free. I haven't been perfect. In fact, I admit that I took a cheat day on Saturday. I hadn't planned on cheating, but I did...and its over, and I'm moving on :)
This is what I've learned. 1. I consume too much sugar. (earth shattering, right?) 2. I like sugar 3. Sugar makes things taste better 4. I can do this 5. I can return to minimum-moderate sugar consumption and live a happy life. 6. I wish I enjoyed water. I just don't. It doesn't taste good to me, but its what I've been living on.
I have been FIFTEEN days without a sweet tea. I can't believe that. I really, really can't. I live for sweet tea.
I've lost 3.5 lbs and if I hadn't been so blasted sick this last week (strep throat)...then I'm sure I would notice a difference in how I felt. I can at least say that I have a bit more energy.
All that being said, I have no desire to attempt to live my life completely without sugar...however, I do plan to be MUCH more moderate. Like having one cheat day a week. Or being bad would be considered something like having 2-3 sweet teas in a week. NOT, 2-3 sweet teas in a day! :)
That's all. Also, Josh and I are taking a small vacation next week to Maine. It is unlikely that I will see this through to 30 days because...lets be honest, I'm going to want some kind of dessert with my honey while I'm on vacation. That's ok. I've learned a lot through this. I can do better. I will do better. The end. :)

No comments: