Thursday, January 14, 2010

Potty Training and Haiti

I'm exhausted. Not sure why I'm on here writing, except that I wanted to mark it down and share with mostly the family members that read this that Owen has been in big boy underwear since MONDAY and has been accident free for nearly three days now! This is big, big news people. I'm waiting a little bit longer before I do a victory dance, but I'm feelin' it coming. Thanks to you who have prayed and encouraged me along the potty training journey!
Secondly, my heart is heavy tonight for the people of Haiti. The earthquake has been devastating. Once again, I find myself taking stock of my life and being unable to comprehend why so much has been given to us, and others are suffering and in need. In need of things like food. Shelter. Clothing. Medicine. Not in need of things like Mac Laptops, new shoes, or new and less stained carpet for their living room. I can't wrap my mind about it. We really (REALLY) have so much. I'm praying that God will teach me and show me how to be generous in tangible ways. I'm praying that the sign I've hung in my room that says "Live Simply" will reign true in my life. Praying that God will teach me to be overwhelmed with the goodness and completeness that is my life in such a way that I will never feel or complain (even quietly!) that I am without. And lastly, praying that I can pass on an attitude of humility and generosity to my son.

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Proverbs 22:4 The reward of humility and the fear of the LORD
Are riches, honor and life.

3 comments:

JO said...

Well said, Kim.....We are ALL selfish, ungrateful and wanting more more more! Sadly it takes something like Haiti to make us pause and look at our own lives differently. And thanks for your post! and for your words the other night... :) love you!

Missy said...

We are so entirely blessed we cannot even fathom it. You can visit the Mission of Hope Blog and get updates on their progress at http://disasterrelief.mohhaiti.org/
if you want to help financially you can donate on their site at
http://www.mohhaiti.org/.

They are helping people 24/7 at their clinic.

It's so easy to get caught up in everyday wants and needs, aches and pains but when you realize how this world is so much bigger than US those things don't seem so important.

The verses fit perfectly!

Laura said...

Kim, the potty training happy news is just wonderful. Hope it hasn't changed since this post..I'm just getting caught up with the "normal" things in my life. Love you.